Clear all

Is car dongle just scam or is it real??

19 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
jerwam
(@jerwam)
Estimable Member

Is the Car Dongle a scam? No, some of us got their products, others have not.  If everyone hasn't gotten a product they ordered, does that mean it is a scam?  That I guess is where the question is.  The product is there, but due to COVID and the situation the world finds itself, I think this was more of a failed launch, and refunds should be given to those who have never received a product, neither the v1 or the v1.5.  If they'll see that, or maybe the product when China is back in any sort of normalcy, only time will tell.  What I can say is Car Dongle used their IndieGoGo campaign as an outright beta test.  We bought their beta units, and helped them design something better to resell in another campaign (CarPC).

They built a product they knew would work in the East Asian countries, as we do have reports of v1 devices working perfectly there, even the GPS.  But either they didn't know, or knew but shipped v1 to other countries anyway, that they wouldn't communicate with other GPS satellites, hence why the v1 devices here in Canada needed work arounds to use them as intended.  Basically hijacking the GPS of the car they are plugged into, or the cell phone they are using for WiFi.  Eventually they came up with the v1.5 devices that have improved GPS antennas, and now they can communicate with Satellites outside of China.  So at least those of us luckily enough to have a v1.5 device, have the device they purchased.

For those of us who have been around since the start, they've asked on numerous occasions what we'd like to see in up coming Car Dongle versions, and as I mentioned already, those ideas, SIM slots, for an example, now show up in the CarPC devices, but no where to be seen in the Car Dongle beta test units.  Rather then Car Dongle/CarPC going to a bank to fund their development, they crowdfunded it, and here we are.

Will the CarPC devices work?  Are they any better then what we've bought into?  Only time will tell.

This post was modified 3 days ago by jerwam

ReplyQuote
AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator

@jerwam Welcome back Jerwam, long time no see. Just want to add, that there is "some" progress (software is now up to 2.4.86 and working for me and 50% of my cars). At present Chinese New Year is under way, so don't expect any more news soon. You said it: Time will tell 😊 

Bye for now  Fred

ReplyQuote
jerwam
(@jerwam)
Estimable Member

Hello Fred.  I've been checking in from time to time.  I noticed you mentioned the v1 device had a firmware updated, so I threw that in, and it upgraded.  So at least that is something.  Will never really use that one in the car, if I need to use my phone for GPS I might as well just use AA on the phone.  I did try and see if the v1.5 device upgraded, and it did.  It is the middle of Winter here in Canada, -10C right now, so not about to test it in the car, but at least it is seeing satellites again via my PC, so that is a plus.  Not really connecting to any, but I'm in my bedroom, 10 to 11ft from my Window so don't expect it to connect.  Of course my Pixel 4xl is connecting fine to satellites right beside the Car Dongle, but my cell has always connected where the Car Dongle hasn't.

I see we are no closer to an "unwrapped" ROM, so even when this becomes rooted, still hard to do the normal stuff with it, but at least I have something physically in my hand, unlike so many others that bought into their beta test.

ReplyQuote
AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator

@jerwam Just three short notes: GPS on V1.5 needs some time to adjust to Canada (as before). After "adjusting" it's faster and more accurate. Rooting is possible and quite easy. Last but not least if you use another launcher... 😉 . Happy experimenting

Bye for now  Fred 
This post was modified 3 days ago by AP756

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

We are made up of a team of passionate programmers, industrial designers and Infotainment lovers who wanted to innovate the way Infotainment  is used in modern day vehicles.

Latest Posts

© 2021 Cardongle | All Rights Reserved

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!