Notifications
Clear all

Operating system cropped - V1 and V1.5

AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator
Topic starter  

@admin:

After testing V1 and V1,5 Cardongles for a couple of days I have to make you know, that the OS was cropped from developers or due to a faulty OTA update.

My observation: Unfortunately they deleted some essential functions from the operating system. Therefore a couple of programs don't work at all or are missing (text messaging is not available), some not as supposed, some quit working after a short time. For example: The Nitro Auto Launcher does not show all programs installed, the time zone differs from the time zone in Android 9, permissions set using standard Android settings (which are hidden by default) are not recognized, sometimes they have no effect at all (e.g. I can't write data to the SD card and the file manager crashes). Using alternative launchers (I tested Nova Launcher and Car Launcher) improve the situation, but still my Cardongles show some not acceptable misbehavior.

Conclusion: The developer team should revise the implementation of Android and should deliver a fully compatible operating system. No less, no more to make your customers a bit more happy. Thanks for reading and thanks for your help to make Cardongle a success.

Bye for now  Fred

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by AP756

AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator
Topic starter  

If someone detects a problem there are two ways to proceed: First do nothing or second you try to solve it. This is just a short notice that I decided to go way number two starting with V1.

Status: Thanks again to Tommy to provide the full ROMs to enable users to experiment. As reported in the first message some programs don't show in launcher. Now they do 😊 .

To acieve this I had to open the bootloader, installed Magisk, installed BusyBox and voila, I see ALL programs. Now I have to test the rest...

Bye for now  Fred

V1 rooted 1
V1 rooted 2
V1 rooted 3

ReplyQuote
SpursMadDave
(@spursmaddave)
Trusted Member

Hi Fred, 

Are you able to provide a step by step of what you did with v1 Rom for me to have a go, basically you are rooting the device I take it?

Agreed on the actual android os on the v1 and v1.5 I installed the carlauncher software as the nitro launcher is very basic and limited but as you say some programmes still not appearing or working as they should 

ReplyQuote
AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator
Topic starter  

Give me some time, I'm still testing stability. Will provide a short description.

Bye for now  Fred

ReplyQuote
SpursMadDave
(@spursmaddave)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @ap756

Give me some time, I'm still testing stability. Will provide a short description.

Bye for now  Fred

No worries, in no rush just appreciate the effort to improve the dongle 👍

ReplyQuote
AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator
Topic starter  

V1 rooted 4

TV program is lousy this evening, so I have done my homework

Rooting V1 - OS 2.4.52 SW 2.3.76 (works on V1.5 too, different ROM though)

Disclaimer: I'm absolutely not responsible for anything you do, including flashing and modifying anything. It's your own risk. What I describe here is what I have done, your miles may vary.

Needed: "Open Settings" from Playstore, full ROM from cardongle.dev/community/postid/1522/, a copy of Magisk.apk from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/tag/v24.2 (the latest), Mirroid or Vysor on the PC, driverset from https://androidmtk.com/download-mtk-driver-auto-installer, Minimal ADB and Fastboot from https://androidmtk.com/download-minimal-adb-and-fastboot-tool

Install Mirroid or Vysor (my favorite) to your PC, extract Minimal ADB to a new folder on PC, extract the downloaded ROM to a different new folder, install MTK driver to PC. Connect Cardongle to PC, download and install Open Settings, download Magisk to SD card (internal memory will be deleted several times).

Start Open Settings on Cardongle, navigate to System -> Advanced -> About Phone -> Build number, tap 7 times on Build number and you'll be a developer. Go back one level and open Developer options. Allow OEM unlocking.

Back to PC. Navigate to the new folder ADB (I called it ADB, you might have used another name), start cmd-here (a new command windows pops up). Enter "adb devices" (without quotes), you'll get your serial number as a response. If not, the driver or ADB wasn't installed correct. Now "adb reboot bootloader" and wait for a while. then "fastboot devices". The same serial number should appear, if not driver install was not successful.

"fastboot flashing unlock", wait 5 sec or more after enter, then "fastboot flashing unlock_critical", 5 sec wait, then "fastboot reboot". The device now is unlocked.

Now you might grab a coffee or smoke some cigarettes because you have to be patient for at least 3 minutes. and another 5 minutes for optimization. Disconnect and reconnect Cardongle (to reinitialize), goto Cardongle Settings and establish mobile hotspot again, open Playstore and install Open Settings again. Check ystem -> Advanced -> Developer options. The option OEM unlocking is greyed out and tells you "is already unlocked".

Next step install Magisk on Cardongle and copy the boot.img from the downloaded ROM (on your PC) to download folder on Cardongle. Open Magisk and click on install Magisk. Allow all permissions, click next, choose select and path, change to download folder and choose boot.img, then click LET'S GO. A new file will be created in download, copy this file back to the ADB folder on your PC. Rename the new copied file to bootm-V1.img

Open cmd-here in ADB folder and enter "adb devices" in the new window. All's well if you see your serial number again. "adb reboot bootloader", short wait, "fastboot devices", short wait, "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot bootm-V1.img", short wait, "fastboot reboot", done. As usual it's time to wait again to re-establish the connection to Cardongle (maybe you have to disconnect/reconnect Cardongle to get it booting). No matter, be patient!

Patience is the key for successful modifying your Cardongle (can't say it too often). If you have any questions you can ask, I might or might not answer :-). Depends on my mood and on the kind of the question. This procedure is checked and tested and it will work for anybody who wants to understand.

Bye for now  Fred

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by AP756

ReplyQuote
Share:

We are made up of a team of passionate programmers, industrial designers and Infotainment lovers who wanted to innovate the way Infotainment  is used in modern day vehicles.

Latest Posts

© 2021 Cardongle | All Rights Reserved

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!