Clear all

VPN/lockscreen support

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
miles
(@miles)
Topic starter  

I'd like to request OS support for VPN.  Right now apps such as OpenVPN, Wireguard and Tailscale crash upon opening.  Looking further into the OS-level VPN settings, an error dialog states that VPN is not supported due to the Cardongle's inability to set a screen/security lock.  If confirmed, please advise if screen/security lock support on the Cardongle can be added.

AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator

@miles, AFAIK the lock screen routines are removed and there is no way for a user to implement this functionality to the Cardongle. This is a job for the developers, @admin (request).

Workaround: Install VPN to your phone, run your phone in hotspot mode and connect Cardongle to this hotspot. This way any connection to the internet runs through the VPN of the phone and the "nearfield connection" from Cardongle to the phone is secured with WPA2-Personal protocol. 

Bye for now  Fred

ReplyQuote
miles
(@miles)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @ap756

@miles, AFAIK the lock screen routines are removed and there is no way for a user to implement this functionality to the Cardongle. This is a job for the developers, @admin (request).

Lock screen support is a prudent option to give Cardongle users.  Since many users will always be signed into their Google accounts, we would expose ourselves to a big security risk in the event of car theft.

Posted by: @ap756

Workaround: Install VPN to your phone, run your phone in hotspot mode and connect Cardongle to this hotspot.

Contrary to your suggestion, Android does not route hotspot clients through an active VPN.  My confirmed-working workaround is to point the Cardongle wifi connection (via standard Android wifi settings) at a proxy server I host using the Every Proxy app on the phone.  Only then will the phone route hotspot clients like the Cardongle through its active VPN.

This proxy workaround would not be necessary if proper lockscreen support is added to Cardongle, thereby enabling native VPN routing support.  I hope the developers will acknowledge and consider this request.

ReplyQuote
AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator

@miles Only thing I was able to do was to formulate two requests in hope that they will be answered soon. Let's hope for a corrected firmware. In case you can't use Cardongle without VPN I'd like to recommend another hardware solution... Sorry, no better answer right now.

Bye for now  Fred

ReplyQuote
Share:

We are made up of a team of passionate programmers, industrial designers and Infotainment lovers who wanted to innovate the way Infotainment  is used in modern day vehicles.

Latest Posts

© 2021 Cardongle | All Rights Reserved

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!