Someone might need: Rooting Cardongle

9 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator
Topic starter  

Rooting V1 - OS 2.4.52 SW 2.3.76 (procedere works on V1.5 too)

Disclaimer: I'm absolutely not responsible for anything you do, including flashing and modifying anything. It's your own risk. What I describe here is what I have done, your miles may vary.

Needed: "Open Settings" from Playstore, full ROM from cardongle.dev/community/postid/1522/, a copy of Magisk.apk from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/tag/v25.2 (the latest), Mirroid or Vysor on the PC, driverset from https://androidmtk.com/download-mtk-driver-auto-installer, Minimal ADB and Fastboot from https://androidmtk.com/download-minimal-adb-and-fastboot-tool

Install Mirroid or Vysor (my favorite) to your PC, extract Minimal ADB to a new folder on PC, extract the downloaded ROM to a different new folder, install MTK driver to PC. Connect Cardongle to PC, download and install Open Settings, download Magisk to SD card (internal memory will be deleted several times).

Start Open Settings on Cardongle, navigate to System -> Advanced -> About Phone -> Build number, tap 7 times on Build number and you'll be a developer. Go back one level and open Developer options. Allow OEM unlocking.

Back to PC. Navigate to the new folder ADB (I called it ADB, you might have used another name), right-click on cmd-here and start "as administrator" (a new command windows pops up). Enter "adb devices" (without quotes), you'll get your serial number as a response. If not, the driver or ADB wasn't installed correct. Now "adb reboot bootloader" and wait for a while. then enter "fastboot devices". The same serial number should appear, if not driver install was not successful.

Following is the unlock part: Enter "fastboot flashing unlock", wait 5 sec or more after enter, then "fastboot flashing unlock_critical", 5 sec wait, then "fastboot reboot". The device now is unlocked.

Now you might grab a coffee or smoke some cigarettes because you have to be patient for at least 3 minutes. and another 5 minutes (for the automatic optimization process). Cardongle will connect and reconnect several times, before it reboots successfully - be patient. To finish the process disconnect and reconnect Cardongle (to reinitialize), goto Cardongle Settings and establish mobile hotspot again, open Playstore and install Open Settings again. Check System -> Advanced -> Developer options. The option OEM unlocking is greyed out and tells you "is already unlocked".

Next step install Magisk on Cardongle and copy the boot.img from the downloaded ROM (on your PC) to download folder on Cardongle. Open Magisk and click on install Magisk. Allow all permissions, click next, choose select and path, change to download folder and choose boot.img, then click LET'S GO. A new file will be created in download, copy this file back to the ADB folder on your PC. Rename the new copied file to bootm-V1.img (or any other name except boot.img)

Back on PC open cmd-here in ADB folder and enter "adb devices" in the new window. All's well if you see your serial number again. "adb reboot bootloader", short wait, "fastboot devices", short wait, "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot bootm-V1.img", short wait, "fastboot reboot", done. As usual it's time to wait again to re-establish the connection to Cardongle (maybe you have to disconnect/reconnect Cardongle to get it booting). No matter, be patient!

Patience is the key for successful modifying your Cardongle (can't say it too often). If you have any questions you can ask, I might or might not answer :-). Depends on my mood and on the kind of the question. This procedure is checked and tested several times and it will work for anybody who wants to understand.

Bye for now  Fred

This topic was modified 3 months ago by AP756

miles reacted
miles
(@miles)

May I have the full ROM with boot.img for OS 2.4.64 SW 2.3.86? Or, can the boot.img from this thread be safely used?

Also, once rooted, what is the recommended OS/SW update procedure? If the answer is to unroot, can a guide for that procedure be added here?

ReplyQuote
AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator
Topic starter  

@miles, the latest official V1.5 ROM For Cardongle can be found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1F8tElqE7ddPN6fZg5UuYXa5yBeqVz42m?usp=sharing . Cardongle Team ist quite slow in uploading... Latest ROM was requested a couple of times (see _here_), but neither an answer nore the software arrived to us.

The best way for future updates is to reflash the unit with a working software (which includes to reload any programs and data). Most likely the boot.img will be overwritten and you have to repeat the procedure of unlocking and injecting Magisk. For safety reasons (too lazy to compare byte by byte) I just repeated the rooting for every boot.img I used, but I think boot.img didn't change for quite a while, so you might just try.

Bye for now  Fred

This post was modified 3 months ago by AP756

ReplyQuote
miles
(@miles)

Thank you, Fred.  Are the Mediatek drivers reference in your OP confirmed to still work?  Problem is, I tried both your linked drivers as well as the drivers that came inside the dev team's RAR package that you linked for me.  I'm able to reach CD via ADB, however after issuing "adb reboot bootloader," fastboot is not able to reach the CD even after a very long wait.  Please advise. 

ReplyQuote
miles
(@miles)

See attached screenshot, looks like the latest CD hardware now ends with PID_201C which is no longer in the MediaTek device tree linked by your OP download link. 

See the second attached screenshot.  There you'll see the three MediaTek drivers that's included in the CD dev team's "Driver_Auto_Installer_SP_Drivers_20160804" folder which, as you can see in the screenshot, there is clearly a "Android Bootloader Interface" driver available.  However when I choose that bootloader driver instead of the ADB driver, Windows claims that it successfully made the switch, but when I refresh the Device Manager, Windows again shows that the ADB driver is in use.  In other words, Windows sees the bootloader driver but I'm unable to actually switch to it.  Any advice on this?

ReplyQuote
AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator
Topic starter  

@miles, the driver packages work (Win7 and Win10). I suppose your problem is with Windows and anti-viral software which blocks to install drivers or you didn't start cmd-here as  administrator (right click on cmd-here allows you  to start cmd-here in administrator mode). I can remember having a hard time with one of my PCs, had to swap to another USB port to get it working. Good luck 

Bye for now  Fred

PS: added "administrator mode" in the tutorial.

This post was modified 3 months ago by AP756

ReplyQuote
miles
(@miles)

@ap756 Running the installer on an adminstrator-level CLI produced the attached install.log.  This log confirms my discovery that my CD device ID (see screenshot from my last post) is not targeted by the driver packages linked in your OP.

Can you advise on how I might locate the correct MediaTek driver?  Or else advise on how I can force my CD to use the bootloader driver provided by the CD dev team?

ReplyQuote
miles
(@miles)

To help clarify my issue with the bootloader driver selection, see attached screenshot.  Notice how the "adb reboot bootloader" command presumably sends my CD to the bootloader but upon reconnecting to my PC, the "Android ADB Interface" driver is being used.  Even when I try to select the "Android Bootloader Interface" driver, the change is not successful despite Windows reporting success.  Hope this helps inspire potential solutions.

ReplyQuote
AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator
Topic starter  

@miles, there are no newer drivers, MTK provides what they have. These drivers work for Cardongle, if not the problem is on your PC (see last mail). If anything fails you might ask Mrs. Google for help and hope she will give you the right links. Don't forget to run adb and fastboot in an administrator command window. I know my setup works, but I don't know "the missing trick" for your setup.

Bye for now  Fred

After some cups of coffee: Install the driver packages again (switch off any security software), run "cmd-here" as administrator and connect Cardongle. After booting enter "adb devices" and see if your serial number is displayed. If yes enter "adb reboot bootloader" and just wait for a while. First connect will fail, the automatically started second boot will succeed. Then test "fastboot devices". If you get the serial number as a response you'll be set (don't care about driver names) and you can unlock bootloader or whatever you want to do.

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by AP756

ReplyQuote
Share:

We are made up of a team of passionate programmers, industrial designers and Infotainment lovers who wanted to innovate the way Infotainment  is used in modern day vehicles.

Latest Posts

© 2021 Cardongle | All Rights Reserved

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!