Updating Cardongle by computer, step by step

34 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator
Topic starter  

These are short instructions to reflash Cardongle to the latest known software. Sometimes OTA update doesn't work reliable and you might reflash your Cardongle.

You will need: Full ROM V1 downladed from here or V1.5 downloaded from here, the driver set for your Windows computer from here and MTK SP Flash tools from here.

Install the driver set and unzip SP Flash Tools to your Windows computer (copy the folder in the zip to your harddrive), unzip the downloaded ROM to a new folder. Start Flash_Tool.exe (located in the folder SP_Flash_Tool_v5.1920) as administrator (right click on Flash_Tool.exe and select "as administrator"), choose Scatter_loading File and select MT6765_Android_scatter.txt located in the sub folder named "image" in the new folder you have created for the ROM. For more info please read the official guide from MTK here.

Now select the "Download button" (the screen will partly grey out), then insert the Cardongle into your USB port and wait at least 2 minutes to get the process running. Please be super patient (Cardongle has to reboot in bootloader mode). After seeing a red, probably blue, a lot of yellow beams there will be a check mark in the middle of the flash tool. Flashing is finished, remove the Cardongle  and close the flashing app. Now start Cardongle in Mirroid/Viper or in your car by inseting it into the respective USB port and let it optimize for some minutes (about 10 minutes). That's it.

Bye for now  Fred

This topic was modified 2 months ago 2 times by AP756

phopkins01@gmail.com
(@phopkins01gmail-com)

Thanks for this post but for those of us who are not computer literate, can't the CD company make this easier for us?   I have no idea how to do what you explained.   

ReplyQuote
AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator
Topic starter  

Oh, it's easy like starting a car. All software you need is linked (tap on the "here"). Most instructions are totally self-explaining if you reach that status. Unfortunately if OTA doesn't work for you there is no other way to update/reflash. Well, if you don't start you'll be not able to finish (some people call it "learning by doing").

Bye for now  Fred

If you get stuck using my instructions you're welcome to ask for additional help.

This post was modified 2 months ago by AP756

ReplyQuote
sethm61
(@sethm61)
Eminent Member

After 10 minutes - update not complete!

So - there are 3 0ptions:  One I think was "download only",  another I forget.  I ended up choosing "Firmware upgrade"  - please o please tell that was the correct option.

That was one minor detail "Fred" forgot.

I need major help as the dongle recd today - but came with NO instructions.  So dissapointed.

Lite is solid orange.

What should I do!?!

This post was modified 2 months ago by sethm61

ReplyQuote
AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator
Topic starter  

Download only or firmware upgrade are both fine, just avoid reformat! If it doesn't work do it again or wait for the new firmware to be published (hopefully soon).

After flashing remove the dongle from PC and connect it to your car. Worked for me every time.

Bye for now. Fred

ReplyQuote
sethm61
(@sethm61)
Eminent Member

How long should I wait. Safe to say that after 10 minutes and nothing happens to start over?

ReplyQuote
AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator
Topic starter  

Not easy to answer, never stopped the time. To be safe wait 15 minutes, after that try again. According to @admin new firmware should be here end of the month.

Bye for now  Fred

ReplyQuote
sethm61
(@sethm61)
Eminent Member

Thx.

should the process on my pc show some sort of progress? Like a moving bar?

and if success, which USB port do i plug into my Mazda 6? It has 2.  One is a dedicated phone port.

my device came with no instructions. So I will be asking more questions probably. Was there instructions supposed to have been included?

can you direct me to an actual owners manual?

ReplyQuote
phopkins01@gmail.com
(@phopkins01gmail-com)

I fou d an update application in another thread which I cannot find. This was a tool

via my Windows computer I was able to update my car dongle. If you download the software and insert your dongle into a USB port it will find the dongle and tell you the current release number. It will tell you if there's an update available and will allow you to update it

ReplyQuote
sethm61
(@sethm61)
Eminent Member

@phopkins01gmail-com 

what’s the name of the tool? I think the cardongle tool is media tek sp.

if you could locate and direct me to the thread, would be much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
sethm61
(@sethm61)
Eminent Member

There is no progress bar.

There are 4 options - see screen grab - which one?  I'v been trying the 2nd one ("MTK....6765.bin"

So far, I'm on attempt #5 - I have no hope.  I am guessing mine is defective.  How do I get a replacement?

ReplyQuote
AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator
Topic starter  

@sethm61, MTK_AllInOne_DA.bin works. (default setting). If you can't see the red bar about 30-40 seconds after inserting Cardongle in USB your drivers aren't installed correctly. And you will be seeing a progress bar in yellow when the Cardongle is flashed.

Updater program can be found here, hopefully it works for you.

AFAIK there is no manual. Basically Cardongle works as any Android phone, so CD Team decided to skip publishing a manual (nobody reads). Just ask away, somebody will help.

Bye for now  Fred

ReplyQuote
sethm61
(@sethm61)
Eminent Member

Used the Smartupdater tool.

Well something updated. Turns out had not clicked on the batch file in the right order.

And is the device supposed to still be lighting up Orange or should it be blue?

What do the colors mean? Again, an owners manual would be super helpful.

SO - am I completely done and ready to plug the device into my car? What about the Cardongle Updater - to version 6765?
Is that next? Still confused.

And if I can plug the device into my car, which USB port? I have 2. One is a standard USB port. The other is a dedicated port for phones.

And how to connect to my Samsung S22 & my 2021 Mazda 6?

ReplyQuote
AP756
(@ap756)
Moderator Moderator
Topic starter  

@sethm61, I try to answer your questions in one place. Just a short reminder: Cardongle is still in Beta-stage (which means under development), not all "problems" and misbehaviors are known. Your miles may vary from other users and most problems are individual. Enough, to your questions:

Update: if you reached OS version 2.4.64 and SW version 2.3.86 you got the latest firmware (status on 18.08.2022). No further update available.

Colour: Connected to a PC the light is orange. Connected to a car it should be blue.

Meaning of colours: There is no description for that. If flashing unit starts up and searches for a connection, if steady it's connected.

Manual: Maybe you feel the need to write a manual and help others? I'd like that idea.

As written above if you reached OS version 2.4.64 and SW version 2.3.86 you are fine.

Remove Cardongle from your computer and connect it to the car. My logic tells me that you have to use the phone port, but maybe the other works too. Try it or ask Mazda.

Now your Cardongle is connected to your car and fully booted (steady blue light, please be patient, the first boot can take some minutes because the screen size has to be adjusted). Now Cardongle should be the boss over the rest of your equipment :-). Enable Wifi Hotspot on your S22 and connect to it (my phohe is called Power5, see screenshot). Follow the instructions on the screen.

After you're connected you might download any (most) Android program you want to use from Playstore. Most important program is "Open Settings" from DXIdev. Using this program you can establish the bluetooth connection to your S22.

That's it for now, some other business occupies me for a while. More to come.

Bye for now  Fred

ReplyQuote
sethm61
(@sethm61)
Eminent Member

Well, in the car after a few minutes goes front blue please to orange - just like when connected to my pc.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share:

We are made up of a team of passionate programmers, industrial designers and Infotainment lovers who wanted to innovate the way Infotainment  is used in modern day vehicles.

Latest Posts

© 2021 Cardongle | All Rights Reserved

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!